Pembina / Emerson – Interstate Hwy 29, ND 81 / MB 75
This is the most heavily travelled border crossing in North Dakota and one of only three 24 hr crossings in the state. This port carries more truck traffic than all other North Dakota crossings combined. Southbound trucks back up for a mile or two on Mondays and Tuesdays and then again northbound later in the week. Southbound passenger traffic is heaviest later in the week as Manitoba shoppers head to Grand Forks or Fargo to shop or to watch the UND men’s hockey.
Pembina / Emerson Customs and Border Crossing Information
- Hours of operation – 24 hrs per day, 7 days a week for both auto and commercial traffic.
- Nexus lanes into Canada are open Monday through Friday 3pm to 5pm except holidays
- Nexus lanes into United States open seven days per week 6:30am to 8am except holidays.
- Max 3 commercial lanes, 4 auto lanes entering the U.S.
- The U.S. commercial building has four cargo booths and a loading dock with six inspection doors.
- FAST Equipped
- This is a Class A U.S. port which means it is a designated port for all aliens. Foreign nationals entering the U.S. should use Class A Ports of Entry.
Current Traffic and Weather Conditions at the Pembina / Emerson Border Crossing
Always check our page with real time weather, traffic and border wait times to see current conditions before you get to the border.
Map of Pembina / Emerson Border Crossing Area
This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. You can drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view of the roads in this area.
Pembina / Emerson Customs and Border Crossing Travel Tips
- Here is a handy link to hotels in Grand Forks, North Dakota and here is another link to hotels in Winnipeg, Canada which are the largest cities near the border crossing.
- You can get current road condition information when in Manitoba Province by dialing 204-945-3704 or 877-627-6237.
- North Dakota utilizes the 511 Traveler Information system where you can receive up-to-date, location-specific road and weather information on any highway in North Dakota. You simply dial “511″ from any phone to reach this system. You can also call 1-866-696-3511.
- Winter Road Reports are issued via the 511 system at various intervals between 5:00 AM and 9:00 PM daily, typically from November through mid-April. They are issued more frequently during severe weather events. Summer Road Reports are issued mid-April through October on the 511 system once daily or more often if conditions warrant.
- There is a 110km/h (68/70 MPH) speed limit on Highway 75 in Manitoba on most sections between the U.S. border and Winnipeg.
- There is a Duty Free Americas shop at 663 W. Stutsman St., Pembina, ND 58271 Telephone: (701) 825 – 6292. It is open 24 Hours / 7 Days a Week.
- On the Canadian side there is the Emerson Duty Free Shop. Telephone: (204) 373-2600 or (800) 268-6088
- Send us your tips about this border crossing
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Pembina / Emerson
- Pembina U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (701) 825-5800
- You will need to call the Canadian Border Information Services for information on the Emerson port and for border crossing rules and regulations.
Pembina / Emerson Port GPS Cooridnates: 49.000658, -97.237115