Detroit-Windsor Tunnel – Michigan Hwy 10 / Canadian Goyeau Street
The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel crossing is a large complex consisting of toll and inspection plazas on each side of the border where you pay your toll and undergo customs inspections. The tunnel is only one lane in each direction and is not tall enough for larger trucks. The traffic is therefore largely autos and smaller commercial vehicles. This is the second busiest border crossing between the United States and Canada and long delays occur much of the time.
See our page Tolls for Bridges Along the U.S. Canada Border for DWT toll rates.
Current Traffic Conditions at the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel
Always check our page with real time road conditions, traffic, and border wait times to see current conditions for the Blue Water Bridge border crossing.
Detroit-Windsor Port Information
- Hours of Operation – this border crossing is open 24 hrs per day, 7 days week.
- Commercial Services are available only M-F with more limited hours. Call the border office for more information
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada. Nexus lanes are not typically open 24 x 7 so we have a separate page showing their hours of operation.
- Nexpress service allows tunnel customers to pay their tolls electronically, reducing wait times. Requires NEXUS ID.
Map of Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Border Crossing
This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. You can zoom in and drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view of roadways in this area. You can get directions to this port by clicking on the “Directions” link at the bottom of the map.
Travel Tips for the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel
- Here is a handy link to hotels in Detroit, MI and here is another to hotels in Windsor, Canada
- Travelers say that the Ambassador Bridge and the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel each have their advantages. The bridge is good if you need to get to the freeway quickly; the tunnel is good for direct access to the downtown areas of either city.
- In light traffic it takes about 8 minutes to get from the Detroit toll booth to Windsor and 10 minutes from Windsor toll booth to Detroit. However, if there is heavy traffic or roadway problems the delay is many times that.
- In 2011, the city of Windsor was rated to have the 2nd highest number of speed traps per capita in North America. This was defined as roadways with arbitrarily low speed limits and heavy traffic enforcement.
- You can tune into AM radio station 760 WJR for traffic information which is updated every 15 minutes.
- You can call 1-800-381-8477 for Michigan weather and road conditions updates.
- The tunnel’s 13 foot, 2 inch (4 meters) ceiling is too low for many tractor-trailers to clear and nearby streets are not configured for long trucks to make turns.
- The bridge is moving more and more towards automated toll booths on both sides of the border. As of 2013 there are just one or two lanes staffed with toll-takers so drivers should be careful to choose the right one. In addition, some automated booths take only coins, credit cards, or Nexpress cards, not dollar bills.
The toll booths also still take tokens but those will no longer be accepted in 2014.
- There is an annual tunnel closure in April for a few hours in the morning for disaster exercises. Traffic is typically diverted to a bridge which has extra personnel.
- There is a duty free shop open 7 Days A Week, year around located to the right as you pass the Canadian tollbooths, before entering the U.S. bound tunnel. 465 Goyeau Street, Windsor, ON Canada. Phone number: 519-252-2713 or 800-669-2105
- Send us your travel tips about this border crossing!
Telephone Numbers for the Customs Offices at the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel
- Detroit U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (313) 393-3793
- Detroit Windsor Tunnel LLC: (313) 567-4422 or (519) 258-7424
- For Canadian Customs at this port call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.
Detroit-Windsor Tunnel GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 42.323758,-83.041280