Lewiston-Queenston Bridge – Lewiston / Queenston – US Interstate 190 / Ontario 405
The Lewiston-Queenston Bridge in the Niagara Region is the fourth-busiest commercial land crossing between Canada and the United States and is often very congested. In 2010, the border wait at rush hour ran almost 2 hours. It is frequently sited as the worst choice for crossing the border in the Niagara area. Five-mile backups of traffic entering the US have pushed traffic back to the Queen Elizabeth Way in Canada. When that happens, local authorities close that exit on the QEW and route all of the traffic towards the Peace Bridge. In the Canadian-bound direction, trucks are often routed into holding patterns through residential neighborhoods on the U.S. side in order to keep backups off the interstate highway approach. However, in 2009 and 2010 expansion of the Canadian port was completed which should significantly speed up processing times.
We have seen suggestions that one reason for overuse of this crossing is that vehicle navigation systems tend to send drivers to this crossing given the type of freeway access to this bridge. We’re sure you’ve already learned not to blindly trust your GPS and this may be one of those cases where you need to second guess it.
Current Traffic at the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge
Always check our page with current traffic, road conditions, and border wait times to see what’s happening right now at the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge border crossing.
Lewiston-Queenston Bridge Port Information
- This border crossing is open 24 hrs per day, 7 days a week, year round.
- Entering the U.S. – 6 car inspection lanes, 4 truck lanes. No NEXUS lane.
- Entering Canada – 10 car inspection lanes, 5 truck lanes, separate bus and NEXUS lanes
- The NEXUS lane entering Canada is open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. with expanded hours for special events.
- NEXUS into the U.S. is open Monday through Friday from 7 to 9 a.m.
- Trucks approaching the U.S. are separated from cars three miles from the border
- Trucks entering the U.S. can enter the dedicated F.A.S.T. lane approx 1 mile before the bridge although all customs lanes are capable of processing F.A.S.T. loads.
- FAST hours of Operation, M-Th 9am to 9pm, Friday 9am to 12 noon
- FAST lane is closed on all U.S. and Canadian holidays.
- Tour bus lanes are designated.
- No pedestrians allowed on bridge
- Licensed taxi service is permitted
Map of Lewiston-Queenston Bridge Border Crossing Area
This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. You can zoom in and drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view of roadways in this area. You can get directions to this port by clicking on the “Directions” link at the bottom of the map.
Lewiston-Queenston Bridge Travel Tips
- Here is a handy link to Hotels in Niagara Falls, Canada and here is another link to Hotels in Niagara Falls, NY, United States.
- Traffic is heaviest May through September with Friday being the most congested day of the week.
- There are numerous overhead road signs that will alert you to bridge delays, and other road conditions. Depending on how far you are from the bridge, conditions can change substantially when you get there.
- Travelers can obtain current border traffic conditions by calling the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission’s toll free number at 1-800-715-6722.
- AM radio station 1610 broadcasts when there is significant travel advisory information. You should tune to this station when you notice flashing yellow lights on area roadside signs or when indicated on overhead Message Signs.
- You can call 511 or 888-GO511NY (888-465-1169) in New York to get ”almost” real time road conditions information.
- You can also get Ontario road information by phone by calling the following numbers: Provincial Call Centre: 1-800-268-4686, Toronto Area: 416-235-4686, Provincial TTY: 1-866-471-8929, Niagara Region TTY: 905-704-2426
- Buffalo Bills football games can significantly impact traffic on the bridge.
- This bridge uses an ExpressPass system to expidite toll payment for frequent commercial, bus, and auto traffic. The Express Pass program provides dedicated lanes for automatic payment of your toll using a debit card. To start an ExpressPass account interested parties can contact NFBC at (716) 285-6322, ext. 4143 in the U.S., or (905) 354-5641, ext. 4143 in Canada.
- There is a Duty Free Americas shop at 200 Industrial Drive, Lewiston, NY that is open 24 Hours / 7 Days a Week. Telephone: (716) 284 – 9734
- This is a Class A U.S. port which means it is a designated port for all aliens. Foreign nationals entering the U.S. should use Class A Ports of Entry.
- Send us your tips for this border crossing.
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge
- Lewiston-Queenston Bridge U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (716) 282-1500
- Niagara Falls Bridge Commission: From U.S. – 716-285-6322, From Canada 905-354-5641
- You will need to call the Canadian Border Information Service (CBIS) for information on the Canadian port as they discourage calls directly to the customs office.
Lewiston-Queenston Bridge GPS coordinates
Latitude & Longitude: 43°9’10″N 79°2’39″W