Fort Kent Bridge / Clair Border Crossing – U.S. 1 / NB 205
The Fort Kent / Clair border crossing is in a remote, sparsely populated area that is linked more closely to French Canada than Maine. This is the northern terminus of U.S. highway 1 and the border crossing ranks in the top 1/3 of all U.S. / Canadian ports. This border crossing is made via the International Bridge which was replaced in 2014 and now carries roughly 1,900 vehicles a day across the St. John River.
Fort Kent Port Information
- Hours of Operation – This port is open 24 hours per day, 7 days a week year around.
- Canadian commercial services are available between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday to Friday (except holidays).
Road Advisories for Maine and the Canadian District of Edmundston
We have a special page showing all current road advisories for the northern part of the State of Maine and the adjacent Canadian district of Edmundston. This page lists all lane closures or blockages, road restrictions, traffic problems, warnings, and roadwork.
Map of the Fort Kent / Claire Border Crossing Area
Click on the “Traffic” button to see current traffic information if available. This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. Drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view if available in this area. You can get directions to this port by clicking on the “Directions” link under the map.
Travel Tips – Fort Kent / Claire Customs and Border Crossing
- You can get Maine road advisories and construction information 24 x 7 by calling 5-1-1 or 1-866-282-7578.
- New Brunswick is also part of the 511 system so you can obtain similar information by calling 511 from within the province or 800-561-4063 from anywhere else in North America.
- The natural beauty of this remote area also means there are much fewer travel services. Make sure you keep track of the weather, fill up your gas tank at all major towns, and carry an emergency road kit.
- Send us YOUR tips about this port!
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Fort Kent and Claire
- Fort Kent U.S. Border Office Contact Information: (207) 834-5255
- You will need to call the Canadian Border Information Service (CBIS) for information on the Canadian port as they discourage calls directly to the border patrol office.
Fort Kent / Claire Port GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 47°14’56″N 68°36’15″W