Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge – U.S. Interstate 75 / Canadian Huron Street
The Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge, which connects Ontario and Michigan, is the 10th busiest passenger crossing between Canada and the United States and the 16th busiest commercial port between the two countries. Traffic is highest in June, July, August and September. It is lowest in February and rises steadily until August when it begins to drop back down. The port underwent significant improvements in 2015 which expanded the number of lanes on the bridge and upgraded the toll payment system.
Current Traffic at the Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge
Always check our page with real time weather, traffic, and border wait times to see current conditions for the Sault St. Marie border crossing.
See our page on Tolls for Bridges Along the U.S. Canada Border for toll rates and payment options for this bridge.
Sault St. Marie Port Information
- Hours of Operation – This border crossing is open 24 hrs per day, 7days a week, year round.
- This port has a unique design that separates commercial traffic from car traffic using an upper and lower plaza. Trucks and vehicles with trailers or campers should use the lower plaza lanes. Trucks entering the United States must use the right lane as they leave the bridge and enter the Inspection Plaza after crossing over the border.
- With the 2015 upgrade the toll plaza has four southbound and three northbound lanes.
- Fast equipped. Commercial services are available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada. Nexus lanes are not typically open 24 x 7 so we have a separate page showing their hours of operation.
- The Canadian Port has seven primary inspection lanes – four for passenger cars, two bi-level lanes for trucks and cars, and a dedicated lane for trucks.
- There is a FAST enrollment center at the American port office.
Map of Sault-Ste-Marie border crossing
This map is interactive so you can move around and zoom in or out. You can also get directions to this border crossing by clicking it’s icon.
Sault Ste. Marie Border Crossing Traveller Tips
- Here is a handy link to Hotels in Sault Sainte Marie, MI and here is another link to Hotels in Sault Sainte Marie, Canada
- Recreational vehicles can use any lane entering the U.S. but should use the truck lane entering Canada.
- You can call 1-800-381-8477 for Minnesota weather and road conditions updates.
- Ontario road information is available by phone by calling the following numbers: Provincial Call Centre: 1-800-268-4686, Toronto Area: 416-235-4686, Provincial TTY: 1-866-471-8929, Niagara Region TTY: 905-704-2426
- The bridge is closed annually in June to vehicle traffic for 30 minutes from for the annual bridge walk.
- Duty Free America serves both the U.S. and Canadian Plazas, 24 hours / 7 days a week. You are allowed to access Duty Free shopping any time you are in the Duty Free area. However, you must continue across the bridge. If you enter the U.S. Duty free area, you must continue to Canada and if you enter the Canadian Duty free area, you must cross to the U.S. and pay the toll. The US shop address is 865 I-75 Bridge Plaza, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783. Phone: (906) 635 – 5031. The Canadian Duty Free Shop is at 127 Huron Street, International Bridge Plaza, Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada, (705) 759-6333.
- Port GPS Coordinates: 46.508439, -84.360639
- Send us your tips about this border crossing!
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at the Sault Ste Marie International Bridge
- Sault St. Marie U.S. Border Protection Office Contact Information: (906) 632-2631
- For Canadian Customs at this port call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) who can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.
- U.S. Sault Ste Marie International Bridge Administration: (906) 635-5255
- Canadian Contact Information for Bridge Administration: (705) 942-4345