Grand Portage / Pigeon River – MN Hwy 61 / ON Hwy 61
Minnesota State Highway 61 becomes Ontario Highway 61 upon entering Canada at the Pigeon River International Bridge. It terminates at the Trans-Canada Highway in Thunder Bay. The route is a scenic highway, following the North Shore of Lake Superior and passing through the U.S. Grand Portage State Park.
Before heading to the border, be sure to review our pages on preparing for customs and prohibited items.
Grand Portage / Pigeon River Port Information
- Hours of Operation – Auto and Commercial Services open 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, year round.
- This is a Class A U.S. port, which means it is a designated port for all aliens. Foreign nationals entering the U.S. should use Class A Ports of Entry.
Current Road Conditions in Minnesota and Ontario around Grand Portage
We have special pages showing all current road advisories for the State of Minnesota and the Province of Ontario. These pages show problems such as roadway snow or ice, lane closures or blockages, road restrictions, traffic problems, and roadwork.GRAND PORTAGE WEATHER
Traffic Camera at the Grand Portage and Pigeon River Border Crossings
This traffic cam shows the road conditions near the port of entry. You may need to refresh your browser to see current conditions.
Map of Grand Portage / Pigeon River Port of Entry
To view the Current Traffic Conditions at this border crossing, select “View Larger Map” and turn on the traffic layer.
Grand Portage / Pigeon River Customs and Border Crossing Travel Tips
- Here is a handy link to hotels in Minnesota, US and here is another link to hotels on the Canadian side of the port in Ontario, Canada.
- Travelers suggest that the evening slow time at the Grand Portage Crossing is 6pm to 8pm.
- Minnesota utilizes the 511 Traveler Information system where you can receive up-to-date, location-specific road and weather information on any highway in the state. You simply dial “511” from any phone to reach this system and then enter the highway number for incident reports. The 511 out-of-state phone number is: (800) 542-0220.
- You can also get Ontario road information by phone by calling the following numbers:
- Provincial Call Centre: 1-800-268-4686
- Toronto Area: 416-235-4686
- Provincial TTY: 1-866-471-8929
- Niagara Region TTY: 905-704-2426
- Port GPS coordinates – latitude & longitude:48.001400, -89.585266
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Grand Portage / Pigeon River
- Grand Portage U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (218) 475-2244
- Call the Canadian Border Information Service (CBIS) for information on the Canadian Port at Pigeon River.