Wild Horse is another Montana border crossing that ranks as one of the lowest volume ports between the U.S. and Canada. This is a port that opens seasonally given the low traffic volume and heavy winter snowfall. Summer hours for the port were extended to October 31st in 2010. There is ongoing debate about making this a 24 hour port.
Wild Horse Customs and Border Crossing Information
- You should call the U.S. or Canadian border services information lines to check on the current border crossing hours for this port as they change depending on road conditions. In addition, U.S. and Canadian hours may not be the same.
- U.S. port hours for 2016. The port will operate from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. from May 15 to Sept. 30. The winter schedule of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. will begin on October 1.
- Canada hours as for 2016: March 1st to Oct 31st – 8:00 AM-9:00 PM, November 1st to February 28 14th – 8:00 AM-5:00 PM, 7 Days A Week
- U.S. commercial services offered 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday to Friday, while Canadian services are only available until 5 p.m.
Montana and Alberta Road Advisories
We have special pages showing all current road advisories for both the State of Montana and for the Province of Alberta. These pages show all weather conditions, lane closures or blockages, road restrictions, traffic problems, warnings, and roadwork.
Map of Wild Horse Border Crossing Area
Traffic information is shown in bright colors if it is available. This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. Drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view of local roads in this area. You can get directions to this port by clicking on the “Directions” link under the map.
Wild Horse Border Crossing Travel Tips
- You can obtain Montana road condition information on your phone by calling 1.800.226.7623 or 1.800.335.7592 (TTY)
- Road Reports for the Province of Alberta are available through by calling 1-877-AMA-HWYS (1-877-262-4997).
- Wild Horse is a U.S. “Permit Port”, requiring commercial vehicles to receive a permit at the Great Falls Service Port before passing through the border. Contact the Coutts-Sweetgrass Supervisory Entry Officer at 406-453-7631.
- Currently, the border at Coutts-Sweetgrass is the only 24-hour commercial border crossing between Alberta and the United States.
- The Canadian provincial government and the Wild Horse Border Committee have been lobbying the federal government to make Wild Horse a 24-hour commercial crossing. US Customs is testing expanded hours as shown above to see if there is sufficient commercial traffic.
- Wild Horse Port GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 48.999197, -110.21519
- Send us YOUR tips about this port.
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Wild Horse
- Wild Horse U.S. Border Office Contact Information: (406) 394-2371
- You will need to call the Canadian Border Information Service (CBIS) for information on the Canadian port as they discourage calls directly to the customs office.