Wild Horse – US Hwy 232 / Alberta Hwy 41
Wild Horse is a Montana border crossing that ranks as one of the lowest volume ports between the U.S. and Canada. This is a port that opens seasonally, given the low traffic volume and heavy winter snowfall.
Wild Horse Customs and Border Crossing Information
- You should call the U.S. or Canadian border services information lines to check on the current border crossing hours for this port, as they change depending on road conditions. In addition, U.S. and Canadian hours may not be the same.
- US hours of operation, 7 days a week
- 8am – 5pm MDT
- Canadian hours of operation, 7 days a week
- 8am – 9pm (May 15 to September 30)
- 8am – 5pm (October 1 to May 14)
- Commercial services are only offered Mon – Fri.
Montana and Alberta Road AdvisoriesONEFOUR WEATHER
We have special pages showing all current road advisories for both the State of Montana and the Province of Alberta. These pages show all weather conditions, lane closures or blockages, road restrictions, traffic problems, warnings, and roadwork.
Traffic Camera for the Wild Horse Border Crossing
The image below is from Alberta Transportation, and shows the roadway conditions just north of the Wild Horse border crossing.
Wild Horse Border Crossing Travel Tips
- Here are handy links to hotels in Montana and Alberta Canada.
- You can obtain Montana road condition information on your phone by calling 1-800-226-7623 or 1-800-335-7592 (TTY)
- Road Reports for the Province of Alberta are available through by calling 1-877-AMA-HWYS (1-877-262-4997).
- Wild Horse is a U.S. “Permit Port,” requiring commercial vehicles to receive a permit at the Great Falls Service Port before passing through the border. Contact the Coutts-Sweetgrass Supervisory Entry Officer at 406-453-7631.
- Currently, the border at Coutts-Sweetgrass is the only 24-hour commercial border crossing between Alberta and the United States.
- The Canadian provincial government and the Wild Horse Border Committee have been lobbying the federal government to make Wild Horse a 24-hour commercial crossing. US Customs is testing expanded hours as shown above to see if there is sufficient commercial traffic.
- Wild Horse Port GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 48.999197, -110.21519
Wild Horse Port of Entry Location and Traffic Map
To view Current Traffic Conditions at this border crossing, select “View Larger Map” and turn on the traffic layer.
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Wild Horse
- Wild Horse U.S. Border Office Contact Information: (406) 394-2371
- To contact Canadian Customs or other border patrol services at Wild Horse, call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.