Whirlpool Bridge – Niagara Falls – Niagara Street / River Road
The Whirlpool Bridge is a NEXUS ONLY border crossing and is by far the best choice for crossing the border between Ontario province and the Buffalo area if you have a NEXUS pass and the hours of operation work for you. Often you will cross over without stopping. However – and this is important – everyone in the car must have their own NEXUS card to use the Whirlpool Bridge. No commercial trucks are allowed on this bridge.
Current Traffic Information at Whirlpool Bridge
Always check our page with current traffic, road conditions, and border wait times to see what’s happening right now at Whirlpool Rapids Bridge border crossing.
Whirlpool Bridge Port Information
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada. Nexus lanes are not typically open 24 x 7 so we have a separate page showing their hours of operation.
- No commercial vehicles are allowed on the bridge.
- Pedestrians are not allowed on the bridge.
- The bridge toll is collected on the U.S. side of the span.
Map of Whirlpool Rapids Bridge Border Crossing Area
This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. You can zoom in and drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view of roadways in this area.
Whirlpool Bridge Travel Tips
- Here is a handy link to Hotels in Niagara Falls, Canada and here is another link to Hotels in Niagara Falls, NY, United States.
- See our page Tolls on Bridges Along the U.S. Canada Border for Whirlpool Rapids Bridge tolls
- The pedestrian walkaway across the bridge was closed after the 9-11 attacks in the U.S. There are periodic calls to reopen the walkway so perhaps that will occur at some point. You can check with the Niagarara Falls Bridge Commission website to see if there has been any change to the closure.
- Traffic is heaviest May through September with Friday being the most congested day of the week.
- Travelers can obtain current border traffic conditions by calling the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission’s toll free number at 1-800-715-6722.
- There are numerous overhead road signs that will alert you to bridge delays, and other road conditions. Depending on how far you are from the bridge, conditions can change substantially when you get there.
- AM radio station 1610 broadcasts when there is significant travel advisory information. You should tune to this station when you notice flashing yellow lights on area roadside signs or when indicated on overhead Message Signs.
- You can call 511 or 888-GO511NY (888-465-1169) in New York to get “almost” real time road conditions information.
- You can also get Ontario road information by phone by calling the following numbers: Provincial Call Centre: 1-800-268-4686, Toronto Area: 416-235-4686, Provincial TTY: 1-866-471-8929, Niagara Region TTY: 905-704-2426
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at the Whirlpool Bridge
- Whirlpool U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (716) 278-0200
- For Canadian Customs at this port call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) who can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.
- Niagarara Falls Bridge Commission: 716-285-6322 from the U.S. and 905-354-5641 from Canada.
Whirlpool Rapids Bridge GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 43.109249, -79.058266