Northgate – North Dakota Hwy 8 / SK 9
Pretty quiet border crossing which carriers about 1 truck for every 2 cars. North Dakota highway 8 passes fairly close by the Des Lacs National Wildlife Refuge Scenic Backway which the state touts as scenic byway.
Customs and Border Crossing Information
- The service hours for border crossings with limited service hours such as this one can change so you may want to call the border office or otherwise confirm it’s hours of operation.
- Northbound hours of operation – 8am to 9pm, 2nd Sunday in March to 1st Saturday in Nov. 9am to 10pm for the rest of the year, 7 days a week.
- Southbound hours of operation – 9am to 10pm, 7 days a week year round.
Map of Northgate Border Crossing Area
Current traffic conditions are shown on the map in bright colors if data is available. This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. You can zoom in and drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view of roadways in this area. You can get directions to this port by clicking on the “Directions” link at the bottom of the map.
Current Road Conditions in North Dakota and Saskatchewan
We have special pages showing all current road advisories for the State of North Dakota and the Province of Saskatchewan . These pages show problems such as roadway accidents, snow or ice, lane closures or blockages, construction, road restrictions, traffic problems, and roadwork around the border crossing.
Customs and Border Crossing Travel Tips for Northgate
- North Dakota utilizes the 511 Traveler Information system where you can receive up-to-date, location-specific road and weather information on any highway in North Dakota. You simply dial “511” from any phone to reach this system. You can also call 1-866-696-3511.
- North Dakota Winter Road Reports are issued via the 511 system at various intervals between 5:00 AM and 9:00 PM daily, typically from November through mid-April. They are issued more frequently during severe weather events.
- North Dakota Summer Road Reports are issued mid-April through October on the 511 system once daily or more often if conditions warrant.
- Saskatchewan has a voice Highway Hotline which you can reach by calling 306-933-8333 or toll-free in Canada by calling 888-335-7623
- Send us your tips about this border crossing!
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Northgate
- Northgate U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (701) 596-3805
- You will need to call the Canadian Border Information Service (CBIS) for information on the Canadian port as they discourage calls directly to the customs office.
Northgate Port Longitude and Latitude GPS Coordinates: 48.998856, -102.275105