Northgate – North Dakota Highway 8 / Saskatchewan Highway 9
This is a pretty quiet border crossing which handles about 1 truck for every 2 cars. North Dakota highway 8 passes fairly close by the Des Lacs National Wildlife Refuge Scenic Backway, which the state touts as a scenic byway. Both the U.S. and Canadian ports are called Northgate.
Northgate Customs and Border Crossing Information
- The U.S. port at Northgate is open 9am – 5pm CT, 7 days a week, year-round.
- The Canadian port at Northgate is open 7 days a week for travelers, Mon – Fri for commercial services.
- 8am – 4pm CT from the 2nd Sunday in March to 1st Saturday in Nov.
- 9am – 5pm CT for the rest of the year.
Customs and Border Crossing Travel Tips for the Northgate Ports
- Here is a handy link to hotels in North Dakota, US and here is another link to hotels on the Canadian side of the port in Saskatchewan, Canada.
- North Dakota utilizes the 511 Traveler Information system where you can receive up-to-date, location-specific road and weather information on any highway in North Dakota. You simply dial “511” from any phone to reach this system. You can also call 1-866-696-3511.
- North Dakota Winter Road Reports are issued via the 511 system at various intervals between 5:00am and 9:00pm daily, typically from November through mid-April. They are issued more frequently during severe weather events.
- North Dakota Summer Road Reports are issued mid-April through October on the 511 system once daily, or more often if conditions warrant.
- Saskatchewan has a voice Highway Hotline which you can reach by calling 306-933-8333, or toll-free in Canada by calling 888-335-7623.
- Longitude and Latitude GPS Coordinates: 48.998856, -102.275105
Current Road Conditions in North Dakota and SaskatchewanNORTHGATE WEATHER
We have special pages showing all current road advisories for the state of North Dakota and the province of Saskatchewan. These pages show problems such as roadway accidents, snow or ice, lane closures or blockages, construction, road restrictions, traffic problems, and roadwork around the border crossing.
Location and Traffic Map for the Northgate Port
To view Current Traffic Conditions at this border crossing, select “View Larger Map” and turn on the traffic layer.
Contact Information for the Ports at Northgate
You may use the telephone numbers below to contact the customs officials and border patrol officers who staff the ports at this border crossing.
- The Northgate U.S. Customs Office is located at 10921 Hwy 8, Flaxton, ND 58737. You can call them at (701) 596-3805
- The Canadian Customs office is located at Hwy 9, Northgate SK S0C 1V0. To contact Canadian Customs or other border patrol services at this port, call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.