Pembina / Emerson – Interstate Hwy 29, ND 81 / MB 75
This is the most heavily-traveled border crossing in North Dakota, and one of only three 24 hour crossings in the state. This port carries more truck traffic than all other North Dakota crossings combined. Southbound trucks back up for a mile or two on Mondays and Tuesdays, and then again northbound later in the week. Southbound passenger traffic is heaviest later in the week as Manitoba shoppers head to Grand Forks or Fargo to shop or to watch the UND men’s hockey.
Pembina / Emerson Customs and Border Crossing Information
- Hours of operation – 24 hours per day, 7 days a week for both auto and commercial traffic.
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada. We have a separate page showing Nexus lane hours for both countries.
- Max 3 commercial lanes, 4 auto lanes entering the U.S.
- The U.S. commercial building has four cargo booths and a loading dock with six inspection doors.
- FAST Equipped.
Current Traffic and Weather Conditions at the Pembina / Emerson Border Crossing
Always check our page with real time weather, traffic and border wait times to see current conditions before you get to the border.
Map of Pembina / Emerson Border Crossing Area
Pembina / Emerson Customs and Border Crossing Travel Tips
- Here is a handy link to hotels in Grand Forks, North Dakota and here is another link to hotels in Winnipeg, Canada which are the largest cities near the border crossing.
- You can get current road condition information when in Manitoba Province by dialing 204-945-3704 or 877-627-6237.
- North Dakota utilizes the 511 Traveler Information system, where you can receive up-to-date, location-specific road and weather information on any highway in North Dakota. You simply dial “511″ from any phone to reach this system. You can also call 1-866-696-3511.
- Winter Road Reports are issued via the 511 system at various intervals between 5:00am and 9:00pm daily, typically from November through mid-April. They are issued more frequently during severe weather events.
- Summer Road Reports are issued mid-April through October on the 511 system once daily, or more often if conditions warrant.
- There is a 110km/h (68/70 MPH) speed limit on Highway 75 in Manitoba on most sections between the U.S. border and Winnipeg.
- There is a Duty Free Americas shop.
- 663 W. Stutsman St., Pembina, ND 58271.
- Telephone: (701) 825 – 6292.
- Open 24 Hours / 7 Days a Week.
- You can shop duty free on the Canadian side of the border at the Pembina / Emerson Duty Free Shop.
- Location: Hwy I 29, Emerson, MB R0A 0L0. Canada
- Telephone: (204) 373-2600 or (800) 268-6088
- Pembina / Emerson Port GPS Coordinates: 49.000466,-97.2371
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Pembina / Emerson
- Pembina U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (701) 825-5800
- To contact Canadian Customs or other border patrol services at this port, call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.