Derby Line / Stanstead – U.S. Interstate 91 / Canadian Autoroute 55
This is the most heavily used border crossing in Vermont and one of the 15 busiest ports between the United States and Canada. It is accessed by high speed freeways on both the U.S. and Quebec side of the border. There can be significant delays at this crossing during peak periods.
Current Traffic Conditions at the Derby Line Port
Always check our page with current traffic, road conditions, and border wait times to see what’s happening right now at the Derby Line border crossing.
Derby Line Port Information
- Hours of Operation – This port is open 24 hrs per day, 7 days a week for both auto and commercial traffic
- FAST Equipped
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada. Nexus lanes are not typically open 24 x 7 so we have a separate page showing their hours of operation.
Map of Derby Line Border Crossing Area
This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. Drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view if available in this area. You can get directions to this port by clicking on the “Directions” link under the map.
Travel Tips for the Derby Line Customs and Border Crossing
- Here is a handy link to hotels in the largest nearby cities of Saint Johnsbury, Vermont and Sherbrooke, Canada
- Some travellers recommend trying the less heavily used crossings on either side of this one if it does not pull you too far from your destination.
- You will frequently find heavy traffic as Vermonters return from the hockey arena in Stanstead
- Between Memorial Day and Labor Day the port is very busy when Canadians travel south for vacations.
- This border crossing is also very busy on Columbus Day weekend, which is also the Canadian Thanksgiving.
- Think twice about crossing the border at a seemingly unmanned location on the nearby surface streets. Border officials patrol these areas constantly and use various types of surveillance to monitor streets without border stations. You have an obligation to report to a border station every time you cross the border whether it is attended or not. This is true no matter how you cross the border – walking, biking, skiing, or driving. If you are caught crossing without reporting to a border station you can face fines, jail time, and may be banned from ever crossing the border again even at a legal port.
- You can get 24 x 7 information on weather-related road conditions, construction and congestion by calling 5-1-1 within Vermont or by dialing 1-800-ICY-ROAD.
- Québec also has the 511 telephone service, available 24/7, which provides road conditions information. From within Quebec Province call 511 on any phone. You can also reach it from anywhere in North America by calling 1 888 355-0511 toll free.
- There is a Duty Free Americas shop on the U.S. side of the border that is open 8am to 9pm Monday Thru Sunday. Telephone: (802) 873 – 3323
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Derby Line / Stanstead
- Derby Line U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (802) 873-3489
- Call the Canadian Border Information Service (CBIS) for information on the Canadian Port at Stanstead
Derby Line Port GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 45.005910, -72.087666