Select Page

Canadians Can Now Bring U.S. Rental Cars into Canada

As of June 1, 2012, Canadians will be able to drive a U.S. rental car across the border into Canada without paying GST, HST, or Green Levy taxes.  This will be very helpful if you fly into the U.S. for a visit and then decide to drive back home to Canada.  However, to qualify for this exemption you must satisfy each of the following requirements:

  • You must have been out of Canada for more than 48 hours
  • The vehicle must be for non-commercial use
  • You have to return the vehicle to the U.S. in no more than 30 days

If you meet these requirements, you will not pay any taxes, and the vehicle will not need to conform to Canada’s vehicle importation safety laws.

These changes were made through revisions to the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA).

For more detailed information you should view our dedicated page on driving a rental car across the U.S. Canadian border.