Select Page

Every type of Canadian passport is going to cost a lot more in 2013.  The higher prices go into effect in July 2013 so if you are considering getting a new passport, or replacing a lost one, you may want to consider getting the process going as soon as possible.   You are not the only one who will think this is a good idea and the flood of applications could slow the process down considerably.  Also realize that, for better or worse, passports issued before July 1st will be in the old format and will not contain the new chip technology.

New Canadian Passport Prices

Passport Canada has issued the following new prices effective July 2013:

  • A 5-year passport will increase to $120 from $87.
  • A 10-year passport will be priced at $160.
  • By March 2014, you will need to pay $45 plus the price of a new passport to replace a lost or stolen passport.  There is not charge to do this today.
  • Canadians ordering passports from outside the country will see fees jump to $190 for a five-year passport, and $260 for the 10-year version.
  • The cost of a child’s passport is rising $20 to $57.   The cost is $100 if the child’s application is processed outside Canada.

It currently costs American citizens US$110 to renew a passport in the United States, or US$135 for a new one.

New Canadian ePassport

Also going into effect on July 1st, new Canadian passports will include chip technology and watermark images designed to prevent fraud.  The new ePassport looks like a regular passport booklet, but contains an electronic chip that holds all of the personal information listed on the second page of the document.  We will be posting a discussion of how the new passports work and what type of information the chip technology Canadian and U.S. passports contain.

Alternatives to a Passport

Canadians do not have a whole lot of alternatives to a passport if they wish to cross international borders.  You can try to enter the United States without a passport but border officials will then be taking a long, hard, look at whatever documents you may present, and there is no guarantee they will allow entry.

Two viable alternatives if you are only traveling between the U.S. and Canada are a NEXUS card or a Enhanced Drivers License.   They are cheaper than a passport and the NEXUS card allows you to use special lanes.  However, both are good ONLY between the U.S. and Canada so they will not be useful to trips to other countries.


Click an icon below to print, email, or share this page with friends, family, or colleagues: