Select Page

Jewelry and Valuables

Pre-Trip Registration of Valuable Items

If you are going to bring valuable items on your trip you may want to pre-register them with the border services of the U.S. or Canada before you leave. This is important if there is a chance you will be unable to prove you owned the item before you left. You could owe duties on that expensive item if Customs officials believe you purchased it while traveling.

U.S. Registration

You can register anything so long as it has serial numbers or other unique, permanent markings. To do this, take the items to the nearest CBP office and request a Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad (CBP Form 4457). This will prove that you owned the items before leaving the United States and all items listed on it will be allowed duty-free entry.

CBP officers must see the item you are registering in order to certify the certificate of registration. You should retain the certificate as you can use it for future trips as well.

Canadian Registration

For Canadian residents, you need to take your valuables to a border services officer and state that you acquired them in Canada or lawfully imported them. The officer will list your valuables and their serial numbers on a wallet-sized card called a Form Y38, Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation.


You may not be able to pre-register jewelry if it does not have unique, permanent markings. Canada can apply a sticker to the pieces but that may not suffice if you need to remove it. You should therefore take at least some of the following steps to ensure you can prove prior ownership before you get to the border:

  • Obtain an appraisal report and a signed and dated photograph of each piece of jewelry
  • Obtain written certification that the items or jewellery in the photographs are the ones described in the appraisal report.
  • Bring any other documents you may have that fully describe the item—such as sales receipts, insurance policies as forms of proof.

If you have further questions you should call either

  • The Canadian Border Information Service at 800-461-9999 from within Canada or 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 from outside the country.
  • For U.S. information, call the U.S. Customs Office at the border crossing you will be using. We have a specific page for all of the U.S. ports and they include the port phone number. Use the search box on this page or check under our List of Border Crossings.