Select Page

Letter for Taking a Child Across the U.S. Canada Border

Consent Letter to Take a Minor Child Across the U.S. Canada Border

As we have explained in our page about “Traveling with Children“, it is very important for the “Responsible Adult” to have a letter of authorization if your child is traveling across the border without both parents.  This is true if only one parent is present, or if the child is traveling with a group. Below is a link to a form letter we have create that you can use to authorize a responsible adult to take your child across the border.

A company called The Law Depot provides another option where you can answer a few questions and then print out a ready-to-go letter for a minimal charge.  Their fill-in-the-blank letter is pretty easy to use and so far we have not received any reports of problems at the border with their letter.  The law depot has two versions of the letter – one for U.S. Citizens, and another for Canadian travelers.

You should also strongly consider providing the responsible adult with an authorization to obtain medical treatment for your child.  Without the authorization, it will be much more difficult for them to get medical help if the child is injured.  We do not provide a medical authorization form, but again, you can get one from the Law Depot.  They have one version for U.S. citizens and another for Canadian travelers.

 Ezbordercrossing.com Child Consent Letter

Please email us if you have any difficulty using  our child consent letter with border officials so we can modify it for future travelers. We have included instructions for the Consent Letter but let us know if anything is still unclear.

You may use the email icon below to forward a link to this page to a friend or family member.