Blue Water Bridge – Port Huron / Sarnia (Point Edward) – U.S. Interstate 69 and 94 / Canadian ON 402
The Blue Water Bridge is 60 miles north of the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel and links U.S. Interstates, I-69 and I-94 with Canadian Highway, 402. Highway 402 later merges into Highway 401 at London, Ontario. Highways 401 and 402 are two of the busiest highways in Canada.
As part of a major transportation corridor, this is one of the busiest border crossings between the U.S. and Canada and has traditionally been one of the most congested. In 2011 and 2012 both the U.S. and Canada ungraded their ports and traffic backups have been significantly reduced. Additional Construction is planned.
Blue Water Bridge Hours and Lane Configuration Information
- Hours of operation – this port is open 24 x 7, 7 days a week
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada. We have a separate page showing Nexus lane hours for both countries.
- Cars and RV’s share the same lanes.
- There are 13 primary inspection lanes on the U.S. side which are forced to handle more traffic per inspection booth than at any other Canada-U.S. border crossing.
- The bridge has 2 spans with three lanes of eastbound traffic on one and three lanes of westbound traffic on the other.
Current Traffic and Road Conditions at the Blue Water Bridge
Always check our page with real time road conditions, traffic, and border wait times to see current conditions for the Blue Water Bridge border crossing.
Map of the Blue Water Bridge Border Crossing Area
This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. You can zoom in and drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view of roadways in this area. You can get directions to this port by clicking on the “Directions” link at the bottom of the map.
Blue Water Bridge Travel Tips
- You can call 1-800-381-8477 for Michigan weather and road conditions updates.
- The Canadian port has message boards that provide real-time information to commercial and passenger traffic.
- In 2010 there were 37 days in which delays of one hour or more occurred.
- Sometimes a ferry crossing at another location could be faster than using the bridge.
- Travelers advise that after crossing the border into Ontario there are very few services for almost 1.5 hours on Hwy 402.
- Canadian Ministry of Transportation road information by phone – 1-800-268-4686
- To talk to the NEXUS commuter lane program desk call (810) 985-9541 x 132.
- Blue Water Bridge Duty Free Shop: 2 Bridge Street, Point Edward, Ontario. Phone: 519-332-4680 or 800-395-7672
- For information on vehicle restrictions call (519)337-8721.
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at the Blue Water Bridge
- Blue Water Bridge U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (810) 985-7125
- Blue Water Bridge Authority: 1410 Elmwood (entrance on 10th Ave.) Port Huron, MI 48060. 810-984-3131 (24 hours) or 866-422-6346
- For Canadian Customs call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) who can answer your questions or transfer you to the Canadian port.
Blue Water Bridge Port GPS Coordinates – Longitude and Latitude: 42.323758, -83.041280