International Falls / Fort Frances Border Crossing – US Hwy 53, US 71 / ON 71, Church Street
The International Falls border crossing is the busiest crossing in Minnesota and is in the top 20% of all crossings between the United States and Canada. Although it carries a fair number of trucks it is used mostly by local residents and vacationers.
Traffic can be bumper-to-bumper late May through June as fishermen head to Kenora or Dryden via the Highway 11 / 71 spur off the Trans-Canada Highway. Traffic is also very heavy on holidays such as Memorial Day and July 4th. You should find little delay at this port during the winter months.
The Fort Frances – International Falls International Bridge is a private toll bridge owned by Boise Cascade and Abitibi Consolidated. See our page Tolls for Bridges Along the U.S. Canada Border for more detailed information and for toll rates for this bridge
Current Traffic at International Falls
Always check our page with real-time weather, traffic, and border wait times to see current conditions for the International Falls border crossing.
International Falls Port Information
- Hours of Operation – 24 Hr per day, 7 days a week, year round.
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada. We have a separate page showing Nexus lane hours for both countries.
- U.S. and Canadian Commercial services are available 24 hrs per day, 7 days a week.
- FAST Equipped
- This is a Class A U.S. port which means it is a designated port for all aliens. Foreign nationals entering the U.S. should use Class A Ports of Entry.
Map of International Falls / Fort Frances Border Crossing Area
This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. You can drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view of roads in the area. You can get directions to this port by clicking on the “Directions” link under the map.
Travel Tips – International Falls / Fort Frances Customs and Border Crossing
- Here is a handy link to hotels in International Falls, MN and here is another link to hotels in Fort Frances, Canada.
- June is typically the busiest month at this border crossing with delays as long as 3 hours and lines that can reach 6 miles.
- You can receive up-to-date, location-specific road and weather information on any highway in the state by dialing “511″ from any phone. You then enter the highway number for incident reports. The 511 out-of-state phone number is: (800) 542-0220.
- You can also get Ontario road information by phone by calling the following numbers: Provincial Call Centre: 1-800-268-4686, Toronto Area: 416-235-4686, Provincial TTY: 1-866-471-8929, Niagara Region TTY: 905-704-2426
- There is a Duty Free Americas shop at 226 1/2 2nd Ave., International Falls, MN. It is open 7am to 9pm Sun to Wed,Thursday 7am to 10pm, Friday 6am to Midnight, Saturday 4am to 9pm. Telephone: (218) 283 – 2556
- On the Canadian side, there is a Fort Duty Free Shop at 401 Mowat Avenue, Fort Frances. Telephone 807-274-7151.
- International Falls Port GPS Longitude and Latitude Coordinates: 48.606965, -93.402197
- Send us your tips about this border crossing!
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at International Falls
- International Falls U.S. Customs Border Office Telephone Number: (218) 283-2541
- For Canadian Customs at this port call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) who can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.