Sweetgrass / Coutts Border Crossing – US Interstate 15 / AB Hwy 4
The Sweetgrass / Coutts border crossing is the most heavily travelled port in Montana and is the only 24-hour commercial crossing between Montana and Alberta. U.S. Interstate 15, and Canadian Route 4, are part of a key truck route – the “Ports-to-Plains” trade corridor – which links Canadian trade markets with those in the United States and Mexico.
Canadian Route 4 is a high quality two- lane facility that connects the border crossing to major Canadian cities of such as Lethbridge, Calgary and Edmonton.
Current Traffic for the Sweetgrass Coutts Border Crossing
Always check our page with current traffic, road conditions, and border wait times to see what’s happening right now at the Sweetgrass Coutts border crossing.
Sweetgrass Coutts Port Information
- Hours of Operation – Open all year with 24 hour service
- NEXUS is accepted in all lanes into the U.S. at all times
- There are specific NEXUS lanes into Canada on Monday to Friday, 3pm to 5 pm. Nexus is not open on Holidays at this Canadian port.
- FAST Services
- 6 Northbound Lanes
Map of Sweetgrass / Coutts Border Crossing Area
This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. Drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view if available in this area. You can get directions to this border crossing by clicking on the “Directions” link below the map.
Travel Tips for Sweetgrass / Coutts
- Here are handy links to hotels in Lethbridge, Canada and hotels in Great Falls, MT which are the largest cities near the border crossing.
- You can get real time information on driving conditions and road problems in Montana by dialing 511 or 1-800-226-7623.
- The Milk River bypass replaced the last two-lane section of Highway 4, so motorists now enjoy a continuous divided highway route from the border to west of Edmonton.
- There is a Duty Free Americas shop at 2 Main Street, Sweetgrass, MT 59484 Telephone: (406) 335 – 2800. It is open 8am to 10pm Monday thru Sunday.
- The Canadian duty free shop is located at 126 1st Street West, Coutts, T0K 0N0, Alberta. Phone: 403-344-3000. Their hours of operation are 7:00am – 11:00pm year round.
- This is a Class A U.S. port which means it is a designated port for all aliens. Foreign nationals entering the U.S. should utilize Class A Ports of Entry.
- Sweetgrass Coutts Port GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 48.99858, -111.95987
- Send us your tips about this port.
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Sweetgrass / Coutts
- Sweetgrass U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (406) 335-9610
- You will need to call the Canadian Border Information Service (CBIS) for information on the Canadian port as they discourage calls directly to the border patrol office.