Champlain / Saint-bernard-de-Lacolle – U.S. Interstate 87, Adronack Northway / Canadian Autoroute 15
The border crossing between Champlain, New York and St. Bernard de Lacolle, Quebec in the town of Blackpool is one of the top 10 busiest crossings between the two countries. It processes over two million travellers each year, with an average of 525,000 travellers in July and August alone. Traffic congestion has therefore been predictably bad at peak periods with numerous accidents and even deaths over the past decade. Autoroute 15 to Montreal is listed in some surveys as one of the 10 most congested roadways in North America. Construction of significant infrastructure upgrades for this port began in 2003, and further improvements are under study.
Both U.S. Interstate 87 and Autoroute 15 on the Canadian side are four-lane divided limited access highways. Champlain-Lacolle is the only major land crossing between New York and Canada that does not involve a river crossing.
Current Traffic Conditions at the Champlain / Lacolle Border Crossing
Always check our page with current border wait times, road conditions, and weather to see real-time road conditions for the Champlain / Lacolle Border Crossing.
Champlain / Lacolle Port Information
- Hours of Operation – This port is open 24 hrs per day, 7 days a week
- FAST Equipped
- Nexus lanes into Canada open 7 days a week 6am to midnight. One lane reserved for Nexus travellers.
- Nexus lanes into U.S. open 7 days a week 6am to 8pm
- Separate bus lane heading either northbound or southbound. Southbound, keep to the far right of the car lanes.
- This is a Class A U.S. port which means it is a designated port for all aliens. Foreign nationals entering the U.S. should use Class A Ports of Entry.
Map of Champlain / Lacolle Border Crossing Area
This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. Drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view if available in this area. You can get directions to this port by clicking on the “Directions” link under the map.
Travel Tips for the Champlain / Lacolle Border Crossing
- Here is a handy link to U.S. hotels in near the border crossing and here is another link to hotels in Montreal Canada.
- Travellers should avoid peak summer periods, such as weekend afternoons and the Sunday after the July 18-31 construction holiday in Quebec.
- New York has added bilingual signage on the Interstate 87 approach
- New York transit authorities can activate message signs to warn approaching motorists of possible delays.
- You can call 511 or 888-GO511NY (888-465-1169) in New York to get ”almost” real time road conditions information.
- Québec also has the 511 telephone service, available 24/7, which provides road conditions information. From within Quebec Province call 511 on any phone. You can also reach it from anywhere in North America by calling 1 888 355-0511 toll free.
- Duty Free Americas operates a 24 hour shop at this border crossing. Telephone: (518) 298 – 4081.
- This map from Quebec 511 provides static road information such as road type, rest areas and other facilities along the road.
- Send us YOUR tips about this port!
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Champlain / Lacolle
- Champlain U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (518) 298-8311
- You will need to call the Canadian Border Information Service (CBIS) for information on the Canadian port as they discourage calls directly to the customs office.
Champlain / Lacolle GPS Coordinates – Latitude and Longitude: 45.008781, -73.451988