Peace Bridge – Buffalo / Fort Erie – U.S. Baird Drive / Canadian Queen Elizabeth Way
The Peace Bridge is the 2nd most heavily used border crossings between the United States and Canada. It carries a great deal of commercial traffic given its convenient link to destinations in both the U.S. and Canada. The bridge is over a mile long and has three 12 foot wide lanes. The center lane is reversible and can be assigned to serve the direction of peak traffic flow. It is close enough to the Rainbow Bridge, Whirlpool Rapids Bridge, and Lewiston-Queenstown Bridges that you can sometimes make a choice as to which bridge you want to use.
The Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority, which runs the bridge, likes to tout the Peace Bridge as consistently the fastest crossing with the lowest tolls in the region. User opinions seem to echo this. However, if you are a NEXUS holder you will probably want to look more carefully at the NEXUS only Whirlpool Bridge.
Peace Bridge Port Information
- Hours of Operation – This border crossing is open 24 hrs per day, 7 days a week, year round.
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada and NEXUS is accepted as identification in all lanes. Nexus hours for the Peace Bridge are shown below.
- Once you have passed either the U.S. or Canadian ports you are subject to a “no idling” policy. Drivers are required to shut off their engines when in the parking lots or duty free shopping areas. Commercial carriers can spend no more than 20 minutes parked in the U.S. duty free area.
- See our page Tolls for Bridges Along the U.S. Canada Border for toll rates for this and the other bridges in this area.
Current Traffic Conditions at Peace Bridge
Always check our page with real time weather, traffic, and border wait times to see current conditions for the Peace Bridge border crossing.
U.S. Port Configuration at Peace Bridge
A second United States NEXUS lane is operational during high peak volume and is indicated open when the lane indicator light is flashing yellow.
Canadian Peace Bridge Border Crossing Information
- The bridge has a dedicated NEXUS inspection lane – lane #1 – which is typically open 8:00 am to 8:00 pm Monday through Friday, and 8:00 am to 3:00 pm Saturday and Sunday. The lane stays open until 10 p.m. for Buffalo Sabres home games.
- A second and third NEXUS land can be opened during heavy traffic periods such as special events, commute periods, and when there is heavy summer traffic.
- This border crossing is FAST Equipped. Trucks traveling to the U.S. by-pass the truck queue when staging is in place
6:00 AM - 10:00 PM
6:00 AM - 10:00 PM
8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Map of the Peace Bridge Border Crossing Area
Traveler Tips for the Peace Bridge
- Here is a handy link to Hotels in Buffalo, NY and here is another link to Hotels in Fort Erie, on the Canadian side of the bridge.
- Traffic is heaviest May through September with Friday being the most congested day of the week.
- The bridge is open to both pedestrians and cyclists but make sure you bring your passports or other border crossing documentation. There are two six-foot wide pedestrian sidewalks on either side of the bridge. On the U.S. side, pedestrians and cyclists are processed to the left of the truck inspection area. In Canada, pedestrians and cyclists are processed in an area on the right side of the inspection area for cars.
- The bridge uses E-Zpass system for electronic toll collection technology which is faster and saves you 10% off the cash toll rate.
- We have seen reports that the backups on the Peace Bridge are at times so severe that drivers can’t can’t get to the Nexus booths.
- Buffalo Bills NFL football games increase cross-border traffic and therefore potential delays prior to game time. Travelers should be sure to leave time for traffic delays.
- Buffalo Sabre Hockey games can cause heavy traffic when the game lets out because approximately 20% of Sabre fans reside in Southern Ontario. NEXUS lane service hours are typically expanded to around midnight following all Sabres home games on the Peace Bridge.
- The U.S. duty free shop is open 24 hrs per day / 7 days a week. It is located at Peace Bridge Plaza, Buffalo, NY 14213. Telephone: (716) 886 – 5000.
- The Canadian duty free shop is also open around the clock and is located at 1 Peace Bridge Plaza, Fort Erie, ON L2A 5N1, Canada. Telephone Number: 1-800-361-1302
- In 2010, Canada completed upgrades at this port including construction of a new primary inspection lane and booth for Canada-bound commercial vehicles and a designated Vehicle and Cargo Inspection System (VACIS) area.
- Roughly 10% of commercial traffic is referred to secondary inspection at this port. As of 2013, there are 7 commercial lanes at the U.S. port. There is discussion to expanding that to 12 and using a pre-clearance process on the Canadian side of the border before approaching the U.S.
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Peace Bridge
- Peace Bridge U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (716) 843-8300.
- Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority: From the U.S. – 716-884-6744, From Canada 905-871-1608
- For Canadian Customs at this port call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) who can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.
Peace Bridge GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 42.906932, -78.905759