Lancaster / Tolstoi Border Crossing – MN 59 / MB 59
Lancaster is a lightly traveled border crossing that is used mainly by vacationers and local residents. It has limited hours of operation so travelers wishing to enter into the U.S. when the port is closed may cross at the Pembina, North Dakota port, which is open 24 hours and is located approximately 30 miles west of Lancaster.
Lancaster / Tolstoi Port Information
- The service hours for border crossings with limited service hours such as this one can change so you may want to call the border office or otherwise confirm it’s hours of operation.
- Hours of operation – 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the winter months and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. in the summer. The summer month schedule will commence on the Canadian holiday, Victoria Day beginning in May and will conclude after Labor Day in September. These hours were implemented January 7, 2018.
- Commercial Services are available only M-F with more limited hours. Call the border office for more information.
Current Road Conditions in Minnesota and Manitoba
We have special pages showing all current road advisories for the State of Minnesota and the Province of Manitoba. These pages show problems such as roadway accidents, snow or ice, lane closures or blockages, construction, road restrictions, traffic problems, and roadwork around the border crossing.
Traffic Map of Lancaster / Tolstoi Border Crossing Area
Click on the “Traffic” button to see current congestion data if available. This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. The orange “man” will give you a street view if available in this area. You can get directions to this port by clicking on the “Directions” link under the map.
Travel Tips for the Lancaster / Tolstoi Border Crossing
- Minnesota utilizes the 511 Traveler Information system where you can receive up-to-date, location-specific road and weather information on any highway in the state. You simply dial “511” from any phone to reach this system and then enter the highway number for incident reports. The 511 out-of-state phone number is: (800) 542-0220.
- Port GPS Coordinates – Longitude and Latitude: 48.999987, -96.801076
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Lancaster and Tolstoi
- U.S. Lancaster Border Office Contact Information: (218) 762-4100
- To contact Canadian Customs or other border patrol services at this port call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.