Lancaster / Tolstoi Border Crossing – Minnesota Highway 59 / Manitoba Highway 59
Lancaster is a lightly traveled border crossing that is used mainly by vacationers and local residents. It has limited hours of operation so travelers wishing to enter into the U.S. when the port is closed should use the Pembina / Emerson, North Dakota port, which is open 24 hours and is located approximately 30 miles west of Lancaster.
Lancaster / Tolstoi Port Information
- Hours of operation – 8 am to 6 pm CST in the winter months and 8 am to 8 pm CST in the summer. The summer month schedule commences on the Canadian Victoria Day holiday beginning in May and will conclude after Labor Day in September. These hours were implemented January 7, 2018.
- Commercial Services are available only M-F with more limited hours. Call the border office for more information.
Travel Tips for the Lancaster / Tolstoi Border Crossing
- Minnesota utilizes the 511 Traveler Information system where you can receive up-to-date, location-specific road and weather information on any highway in the state. You simply dial “511” from any phone to reach this system and then enter the highway number for incident reports. The 511 out-of-state phone number is: (800) 542-0220.
- Lancaster and Tolstoi GPS Coordinates – Longitude and Latitude: 48.999987, -96.801076
Contact Information for the Lancaster and Tolstoi Ports
You may use the telephone numbers below to contact the customs officials and border patrol officers who man the ports at this border crossing.
- The U.S. Lancaster Border Office is located at 4151 Hwy 59, Lancaster, MN 56735. You may call the office at (218) 762-4100
- To contact Canadian Customs or other border patrol services at this port call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.
Current Road Conditions in Minnesota and Manitoba
We have special pages showing all current road advisories for the State of Minnesota and the Province of Manitoba. These pages show problems such as roadway accidents, snow or ice, lane closures or blockages, construction, road restrictions, traffic problems, and roadwork around the border crossing.
Lancaster and Tolstoi Ports of Entry Location and Traffic Map
To view Current Traffic Conditions at this border crossing, select “View Larger Map” and turn on the traffic layer.
IMPORTANT UPDATE! U.S. Reducing Port Hours. See COVID-19 coronavirus travel restrictions.