Opheim / West Poplar River – Montana Highway 24 / Saskatchewan Highway 2
Only 8 other ports between the two countries carry fewer vehicles than this sleepy border crossing. This port is situated in open plains and used primarily by local residents and vacation travelers. Be aware that most of Saskatchewan observes Central Standard Time year round and does not shift to Daylight Saving Time. Make sure you confirm that the Canadian port will be open when you arrive there.
Opheim / West Poplar River Port Information
- The hours for the Opheim U.S. port are 9 am to 7 pm MDT year round as of June 1, 2019.
- The Canadian port of West Poplar River is open 7 days a week but has seasonal hours of operation:
- 9:00 to 18:00 – Second Sunday in March to May 31
- 8:00 to 21:00 June 1 to September 15
- 9:00 to 18:00 – September 16 to the first Saturday in November
- 10:00 to 19:00 -First Sunday in November to the second Saturday in March
- Commercial services at the Canadian port are more limited so call the Customs office for more details.
Travel Tips for the Opheim / West Poplar River Customs and Border Crossing
- Opheim is a Permit Port, which means that importations of cargo must be approved in advance by the Area Port of Sweetgrass. Contact the Port of Entry for more information.
- You can retrieve Montana road condition information by phone by calling 1.800.226.7623 or 1.800.335.7592 (TTY)
- Saskatchewan also has a voice Highway Hotline which you can reach by calling 306-933-8333 or toll-free in Canada by calling 888-335-7623.
- Opheim / West Poplar River Port GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 48.999618, -106.377810
Contact Information for the Border Customs Offices at Opheim and West Poplar
- The Opheim U.S. Customs Office is located at 6071 State Highway 24 North Opheim, MT 59250-0376Telephone. You can call them at (406) 724-3212
- To contact Canadian Customs or other border patrol services at West Poplar River call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.
Montana and Saskatchewan Road Conditions
We have special pages showing all current road advisories for both the State of Montana and for the Province of Saskatchewan. These pages show all weather conditions, lane closures or blockages, road restrictions, traffic problems, warnings, and roadwork.
Location and Traffic Map for the Opheim and West Poplar River Ports
To view Current Traffic Conditions at this border crossing, select “View Larger Map” and turn on the traffic layer.
See our updates and travel tips on the COVID-19 coronavirus travel restrictions.