Opheim / West Poplar River – Montana Highway 24 / Saskatchewan Highway 2
Only 8 other ports between the two countries carry fewer vehicles than this sleepy border crossing. This port is situated in open plains and used primarily by local residents and vacation travelers. Be aware that most of Saskatchewan observes Central Standard Time year round and does not shift to Daylight Saving Time. Make sure you confirm that the Canadian port will be open when you arrive there.
Opheim / West Poplar River Port Information
- U.S. hours of operation: 9am – 5pm MDT Monday – Friday, year-round.
- Canadian hours of operation (7 days a week for travelers, Mon-Fri for commercial services)
- 9:00am to 6:00pm – Second Sunday in March to May 31
- 8:00am to 9:00pm – June 1 to September 15
- 9:00am to 6:00pm – September 16 to the first Saturday in November
- 10:00am to 7:00pm – First Sunday in November to the second Saturday in March.
Travel Tips for the Opheim / West Poplar River Customs and Border Crossing
- Here is a handy link to hotels in Montana, U.S. and here is another link to hotels on the Canadian side of the port in Saskatchewan, Canada.
- Opheim is a Permit Port, which means that importations of cargo must be approved in advance by the Area Port of Sweetgrass. Contact them for more information.
- You can retrieve Montana road condition information by phone by calling 1-800-226-7623 or 1-800-335-7592 (TTY)
- Saskatchewan also has a voice Highway Hotline which you can reach by calling 306-933-8333 or toll-free in Canada by calling 888-335-7623.
- Opheim / West Poplar River Port GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 48.999618, -106.377810
Montana and Saskatchewan Road ConditionsOPHEIM WEATHER
We have special pages showing all current road advisories for both the State of Montana and for the Province of Saskatchewan. These pages show all weather conditions, lane closures or blockages, road restrictions, traffic problems, warnings, and roadwork.
Location and Traffic Map for the Opheim and West Poplar River Ports
To view Current Traffic Conditions at this border crossing, select “View Larger Map” and turn on the traffic layer.
Contact Information for the Border Customs Offices at Opheim and West Poplar
- The Opheim U.S. Customs Office is located at 6071 State Highway 24 North Opheim, MT 59250-0376Telephone. You can call them at (406) 724-3212
- To contact Canadian Customs or other border patrol services at West Poplar River call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.