Sweetgrass / Coutts Border Crossing – US Interstate 15 / AB Hwy 4
The Sweetgrass / Coutts border crossing is the most heavily travelled port in Montana and is the only 24-hour commercial crossing between Montana and Alberta. U.S. Interstate 15, and Canadian Route 4, are part of a key truck route – the “Ports-to-Plains” trade corridor – which links Canadian trade markets with those in the United States and Mexico.
Canadian Route 4 is a four lane roadway from the border to Lethbridge and has a 110 km speed limit. From there you can connect to highway 3, and then Highway 2, which enables four lane travel all the way to Edmonton via Calgary.
Current Traffic for the Sweetgrass Coutts Border Crossing
Always check our page with current traffic, road conditions, and border wait times to see what’s happening right now at the Sweetgrass Coutts border crossing.
Sweetgrass Coutts Port Information
- Hours of Operation – Open all year with 24 hour service
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada. Nexus lanes are not typically open 24 x 7 so we have a separate page showing their hours of operation.
- FAST Services
- 6 Northbound Lanes
Travel Tips for Sweetgrass / Coutts
- Here are handy links to hotels in Lethbridge, Canada and hotels in Great Falls, MT which are the largest cities near the border crossing.
- You can get real time information on driving conditions and road problems in Montana by dialing 511 or 1-800-226-7623.
- The Milk River bypass replaced the last two-lane section of Highway 4, so motorists now enjoy a continuous divided highway route from the border to west of Edmonton.
- There is a Duty Free Americas shop at 2 Main Street, Sweetgrass, MT 59484 Telephone: (406) 335 – 2800. It is open 8am to 10pm Monday thru Sunday.
- The Canadian duty free shop is located at 126 1st Street West, Coutts, T0K 0N0, Alberta. Phone: 403-344-3000. Their hours of operation are 7:00am – 11:00pm year round.
- Sweetgrass Coutts Port GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 48.99858, -111.95987
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Sweetgrass / Coutts
- Sweetgrass U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (406) 335-9610
- For Canadian Customs at this port call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) who can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.
Map of Sweetgrass / Coutts Border Crossing Area
IMPORTANT UPDATE! U.S. Reducing Port Hours. See COVID-19 coronavirus travel restrictions.