Champlain / Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle – U.S. Interstate 87, Adronack Northway / Canadian Autoroute 15
The border crossing between Champlain, New York, and St. Bernard de Lacolle, Quebec, in the town of Blackpool is one of the top 10 busiest crossings between the two countries. It processes over two million travelers each year, with an average of 525,000 travelers in July and August alone. Traffic congestion has therefore been predictably bad at peak periods, with numerous accidents and even deaths over the past decade. Autoroute 15 to Montreal is listed in some surveys as one of the 10 most congested roadways in North America.
Both U.S. Interstate 87 and Autoroute 15 on the Canadian side are four-lane divided limited access highways. Champlain-Lacolle is the only major land crossing between New York and Canada that does not involve a river crossing.
Current Traffic Conditions at the Champlain / Lacolle Border Crossing
Always check our page with current border wait times, road conditions, and weather to see real-time road conditions for the Champlain / Lacolle Border Crossing.
Champlain / Lacolle Port Information
- Hours of Operation – This port is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- FAST Equipped.
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada. Nexus lanes are not typically open 24/7, so we have a separate page showing their hours of operation.
Travel Tips for the Champlain / Lacolle Border Crossing
- Here is a handy link to hotels in New York state and here is another link to hotels in Quebec Province on the Canadian side of the border.
- Travelers should avoid peak summer periods, such as weekend afternoons and the Sunday after the July 18-31 construction holiday in Quebec.
- Some travelers recommend that you avoid this port completely by crossing at the Overton Corners / Lacolle port on QC-221 / NY-276 E. This is about a 20km (12.5mi) detour, but it avoids the potential backups in Champlain.
- New York transit authorities can activate message signs to warn approaching motorists of possible delays.
- 511 information
- You can call 511 or 888-GO511NY (888-465-1169) in New York to get “almost” real time road conditions information.
- Québec also has the 511 telephone service, available 24/7, which provides road conditions information.
- From within Quebec Province call 511 on any phone.
- You can also reach it from anywhere in North America by calling 1 888 355-0511 toll-free.
- Duty Free Americas operates a 24 hour shop at this border crossing. Telephone: (518) 298 – 4081.
- GPS coordinates for the Champlain / Lacolle port of entry: 45.008781, -73.451988
Map of Champlain / Lacolle Port of Entry
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Champlain / Lacolle
- Champlain U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (518) 298-8311
- For Canadian Customs at this port, call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.