This is one of only three 24 hour border crossings in North Dakota and is the second most heavily traveled auto and trucking portal in the state. It frequently experiences significant delays. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection processes more than 100,000 southbound cars and more than 100,000 trucks each year. Saskatchewan Highway 39, which links Estevan with the city of Regina, is a heavy truck corridor with large semi-trailer trucks including massive oil field and coal company vehicles.
Portal Port Information
- Hours of Operation – Open 24 Hrs per day, 7 days week, year round
- FAST equipped
- The U.S. port has three car and three commercial vehicle processing lanes, plus two additional car lanes that can be opened during heavy traffic periods. This is also a U.S. Free and Secure Trade (FAST) enrollment center.
- We have heard from a knowledgeable traveler that traffic flow at the U.S. port is awkward. The port is inside a fenced compound and once you are cleared through customs and immigration, you receive a cardboard ticket like you would at a parking lot or garage. You then proceed to the exit and insert the card into the machine to be allowed out.
- As of this writing, there are two lanes at the Canadian port and each one was restricted to handling only one type of traffic. The port should complete upgrades in 2020 / 2021 so it can enable three reconfigurable lanes that can handle either standard or commercial traffic. This should help reduce delays significantly.
- Location on U.S. Highway 52 and Saskatchewan 39
- Portal Border Crossing GPS Coordinates: 48.999007, -102.55234
Current Road Conditions in North Dakota and Saskatchewan
We have special pages showing all current road advisories for the State of North Dakota and the Province of Saskatchewan. These pages show problems such as roadway accidents, snow or ice, lane closures or blockages, construction, road restrictions, traffic problems, and roadwork around the border crossing.
Wait Times at the North Portal Border Crossing
|Estimated wait time to reach the inspection booth. Updated hourly.||Entering Canada at North Portal|
Last Update: 2021-01-21 06:00 MST
|Personal Vehicles||No delay|
|Commercial Vehicles||No delay|
Traffic Webcam for the Portal and North Portal Border Crossings
Portal Customs and Border Crossing Travel Tips
- Here is a handy link to North Dakota hotels nearest the border crossing and here is another link to hotels on the Canadian side of the border.
- One reader has suggested an alternative to using this port depending on the time of day. His advice is to cross the border at the Noonan, ND/Estevan, SK port. This route is longer and adds 7.1 miles/11.4 km to your trip but the port clearance is often much quicker. The Route: If you are traveling from the US, highway US 52 to Portal/North Portal takes a hard right turn south of the port. If one continues straight west, the highway continues as ND 5. Turn right at Noonan to the port of Estevan. Continue along SK 47 to the city of Estevan. At this point you can resume travel on SK 39 (the highway from North Portal) or continue north on SK 47 or west on SK 18. If you are traveling from Canada, instead of proceeding SE on SK 39 from Estevan, go south on SK 47 instead. Proceed through the port at Noonan, ND, then proceed south until the intersection with ND 5. Proceed east. This highway becomes US 52 at Lignite (south of the port of Portal).
- Saskatchewan has a voice Highway Hot line which you can reach by calling 306-933-8333 or toll-free in Canada by calling 888-335-7623
- North Dakota utilizes the 511 Traveler Information system where you can receive up-to-date, location-specific road and weather information on any highway in North Dakota. You simply dial “511″ from any phone to reach this system. You can also call 866-MYSD511 (866-697-3511). Winter Road Reports are issued via the 511 system at various intervals between 5:00 AM and 9:00 PM daily, typically from November through mid-April. They are issued more frequently during severe weather events. Summer Road Reports are issued mid-April through October on the 511 system once daily or more often if conditions warrant.
- SK 39 is a 2 lane, undivided highway.
- Border Duty Free Shop: 701-926-3661.
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Portal / North Portal
- Portal U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (701) 926-4241
- Call the Canadian Border Information Service (CBIS) for information on the Canadian Port at North Portal. Services at the Canadian port include:
- Highway/Land Border Office (HWY/B)
- Low Value Shipments Program (LVS)
- Designated Commercial Office (DCO)
- Duty-Free Shop (SHOP)
- Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
- Accounts Receivable Ledger Office (ARL)
- Designated Export Reporting Office (EXPORT)
- Railway Depot (RAIL)
Map of Portal Border Crossing Area
To view Current Traffic Conditions at this border crossing, select “View Larger Map” and turn on the traffic layer.