Sumas / Abbotsford (Huntingdon) Washington Hwy 9 / British Columbia Hwy 11
Although this is one of the highest volume border crossings between the two countries, some readers recommend it over the three other Washington State ports to the west during heavy traffic periods.
The Sumas-Huntingdon Border Crossing connects the cities of Sumas, Washington and Abbotsford, British Columbia. It can be reached from British Columbia Highway 11 on the Canadian side and Washington State Route 9 on the American side.
Current Traffic at the Sumas / Huntingdon Border Crossing
Be sure to also review our page with current road conditions, border wait times, traffic and weather at the Sumas / Abbotsford border crossing.
Sumas / Abbotsford Port Information
- Hours of Operation: Open 24 hours per day
- Southbound – 2 truck lanes, 4 auto lanes
- Northbound – 1 truck lane, 6 auto lanes
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada. We have a separate page showing Nexus lane hours for both countries.
- The following services are offered by the Canadian port office:
Map of Sumas / Abbotsford Border Crossing Area
Travel Tips for the Sumas / Abbotsford Border Crossing
- Here is a handy link to hotels in Sumas, Washington and here is another link to hotels in Abbotsford, Canada.
- This border crossing can be much less crowded than all of the other ports in the area.
- You can walk across the Sumas – Huntingdon border on foot. You must still pass through border control. At the pedestrian entrance you must enter the Customs and Immigration Building. You will be asked the same questions as drivers when crossing the border and require the same types of documentation.
- You can get customized traffic information for Washington over the phone using the 511 system. Simply dial 5-1-1 and say “traffic”. If you cannot dial 511 on your phone you can also use the toll-free number 1-800-695-7623
- To hear current road conditions in British Columbia you can call (800)-550-4997.
- There is a Duty Free Americas shop on the U.S. side of the border at 108 Harrison Ave., Sumas, WA 98295 Telephone: (360) 988 – 9413. It is open 8am to 10pm Monday thru Sunday
- The Canadian duty free shop is located at 45 Douglas St, Abbotsford, BC V2S 8B7, Canada. (888) 852-7565
- Sumas / Huntingdon Port GPS coordinates – Latitude and Longitude: 49°0’8″N 122°15’55″W
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Sumas / Huntingdon
You may use the telephone numbers below to contact the customs officials and border patrol officers who staff the ports at this border crossing.
- The U.S. Sumas Border Protection Station is located at 103 Cherry Street, Sumas, WA 98295. You may call them at (360) 988-2971.
- The Canadian Port at Abbotsford-Huntingdon (Canadian port #817) is located at 2 Sumas Way, Huntingdon BC V2S 8B7. To contact Canadian Customs or other border patrol services at this port call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.