The Whirlpool Rapids Bridge at Niagara Falls connects the cities of Niagara Falls, New York, United States, and Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. This is a NEXUS ONLY bridge, so everybody in the vehicle must have a NEXUS pass.
The American side connects to New York State Route 104 and 182, while the Canadian side of the bridge connects to King’s Highways 3A, 20 and 8.
The bridge has two decks. The upper deck carries railway traffic, while the lower deck is a roadway reserved for passenger vehicles only.
Our Whirlpool Rapids Bridge border crossing page has complete information about this border crossing, including current traffic information. For a complete description of the NEXUS program see our page on Types of Documentation.
Whirlpool Rapids Bridge Details
- This is a NEXUS ONLY bridge, so everybody in the vehicle must have a NEXUS pass.
- The tolls for Lewiston-Queenston bridge, Rainbow bridge, and Whirlpool bridge are the same, so this same table is used for each of them. The Lewiston-Queenston and Rainbow bridges accept Express pass. However, Express Pass cannot be used on the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge as of this writing. In addition, although the table below shows cash as an option, it is not accepted at the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge.
- The only toll accepted at the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge is prepaid on your NEXUS card or using an EZ-Pass. Cash and tokens are not accepted to pay the toll.
- You must be enrolled in the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission toll program prior to crossing or you can join once you reach the bridge. To join the program at the bridge, you will charge your NEXUS card at the NEXUS kiosk located on the U.S. side of the bridge. Only Canadian or U.S. currency can be used to prepay your tolls at the kiosk. If you have questions about this procedure, you can contact the bridge authority operations department using the telephone numbers or email addresses at the bottom of this page.
- No commercial vehicles are allowed on the bridge. The table below shows a commercial toll, but that is not applicable to Whirlpool Rapids.
- Pedestrians are not allowed on the bridge.
- Bicycles are not allowed on the bridge
- You must not be towing anything when you cross the bridge.
- There is no Global Entry at this bridge.
- Tolls are paid in only one direction – when going into Canada.
Tolls on the Whirlpool Bridge – No Commercial Traffic
Toll Cost & Vehicle Definitions
TOLL RATES - Effective August 1, 2022
*Note: Tolls are paid one way into Canada.
Pedestrians and bicyclists? $1.00 in both currencies
How much are overweight surcharges? (All trucks weighing more than 130,000 must clear loads in advance. See Trucker Services)
Effective: AUGUST 1, 2022
How much for over-width trucks? Special arrangements, such as closing one side of the bridge, to allow extremely wide trucks to cross, require additional charges ($525.00 US or $685.00CDN)
Where do I pay toll? Toll booths at Rainbow and Whirlpool Rapids are located as you begin to cross into Canada. At Lewiston-Queenston, the toll booth is located in Canada.
Niagara Falls Bridge Commission Contact Information
The Rainbow, Whirlpool Rapids, and Lewiston-Queenston Bridges are all managed by the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission.
U.S. Contact Information
5365 Military Rd.
Canadian Contact Information
Canada P.O. Box 395
Niagara Falls, ON.
For general Inquiries you can email: [email protected]