Construction of the Windsor-Essex Parkway in Windsor Canada will require numerous road closures and detours for both traffic and pedestrians over the next several years. This will affect traffic using the Ambassador Bridge and Detroit Windsor Tunnel border crossings between the United States and Ontario Canada.
Windsor Essex Parkway Construction Updates
We will continue to update this post as new information becomes available so you should check back periodically.
Temporary Road Closures During Construction of the New Windsor Parkway
- Update 12/1/12– Cousineau Road Closure and Diversion 14 Opening. The intersection of Cousineau Rd and Highway 3 closed early Monday morning and will remain closed for approximately one year. This temporary closure is necessary to allow for the construction of the Cousineau Tunnel (T-9). During this closure, travellers should follow the marked detour(s).Diversion 14 (D-14) connecting Cousineau Road to Sandwich West Parkway and a new signalized intersection is now open. This diversion will be in use until approximately spring 2013. This diversion includes a pedestrian walkway which will allow pedestrians to safely cross Highway 3.
- UPDATE: October 29, 2012 – Existing eastbound lanes of E.C. Row Expressway between Ojibway Parkway and Huron Church will be closed for approximately two years to allow construction of Bridge 3. E.C. Row Expressway will remain open, keeping a single lane of traffic in each direction on the existing westbound lanes. To maintain safety, the existing westbound lanes will be separated by temporary barriers and speed limit will be reduced from 100km/h to 80km/h.
- Update October 30, 2012 – Access from Outer Drive to Highway 3 will be closed for approximately one month to enable the construction of the Outer Drive Connector. A detour route is in place.
- A multi-lane roundabout will open to traffic around the end of October 2012 where the Howard Avenue Diversion (County Road 9) meets Highway 3 and Highway 401 on/off ramps.
- Montgomery Drive at Highway 3 will be closed May 22, 2012 for approximately one year. Traffic will be detoured to Concession 6 and Howard Avenue.
- Huron Church Road westbound right lane between Labelle Street and Todd Lane will be closed March 14, 2012 for approximately two and a half months.
- Matchette Road eastbound on-ramp to E.C. Row will be closed March 15, 2012 for approximately two years. View the public notice English.
- A portion of Bethlehem Avenue from Huron Church Road to Sixth Street will be closed for approximately one year beginning February 21, 2012.
- Huron Church Road northbound right lane between Pulford Street and Grand Marais Road will be closed starting January 6 until June 2012.
- Outer Drive south of Highway 3 will be closed starting at 8:00 a.m., Monday, October 24.
- A portion of North Talbot Road will be closed for up to nine months starting at 3 a.m. on Saturday, August 20.
- Todd Lane to Cabana (crossing Huron Church) will be moved to the north in June 2012 for one year
Permanent Road Closures From Construction of the New Windsor Parkway
- Surrey Drive at Highway 3 was permanently closed on May 22, 2012.
- Grosvenor Street at Highway 3 was permanently closed on Tuesday, February 21, 2012.
- A portion of Bethlehem Avenue from Huron Church Road to Sixth Street and Grosvenor Street at Highway 3 has been permanently closed.
- The road from Highway 3 leading into St. Clair College will be moved to the west by a few hundred meters starting in June 2012
- Sandwich West Parkway (the road from Highway 3 to get to Windsor Crossings) will be moved a few hundred meters in October 2012