Thousand Islands Bridge – Alexandria Bay / Lansdowne – US Interstate 81 / ON 137
The Thousand Islands “Bridge” is actually a series of bridges that cross the St. Lawrence River. In Canada it connects with Highway 401, which runs northeast to Montreal and southwest to Toronto, and 416, which heads north to Ottawa.
This is one of the 10 most used border crossings between the US and Canada and is the 4th busiest in New York. It therefore experiences significant backups during peak periods and 2 hr delays are not uncommon during the summer. This is a heavy truck corridor and I-81 is used by many carriers as an inland alternative to the more crowded I-95. In the past, delays have resulted in diversion of trucks to the Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge.
|Entering the U.S. at Thousand Islands Bridge||Entering Canada at Thousand Islands Bridge
At 5:00 pm EDT
2 lane(s) open
At 5:00 pm EDT
1 lane(s) open
At 5:00 pm EDT
3 lane(s) open
Map of Thousand Islands Bridge Border Crossing Area with Real-time Traffic Information
Current traffic conditions are shown on the map in color if data is available. This map is interactive so you may zoom in or out. You can zoom in and drag the orange “man” to the map to see a street view of roadways in this area.
Current Road Conditions in New York and Ontario
We have special pages showing all current road advisories for the State of New York and the province of Ontario. These pages show problems such as accidents, roadway snow or ice, lane closures or blockages, construction, road restrictions, traffic problems, and roadwork around the border crossing.
Thousand Islands Bridge Port Information
- Hours of Operation – This border crossing is open 24 hrs per day, 7 days a week for auto and commercial traffic
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada. Nexus lanes are not typically open 24 x 7 so we have a separate page showing their hours of operation.
- There are special rules governing Vehicle Exports. Original documents are required at the port a minimum of 72 hours prior to export.
- See our page Tolls on Bridges Along the U.S. Canada Border for toll rates for this bridge.
Travel Tips for the Thousand Islands Bridge Border Crossing
- Here is a handy link to hotels in Alexandria Bay, New York near the border crossing and here is another link to hotels in Ottawa which is the nearest major city in Canada.
- At peak periods this port can be very slow so many people recommend taking either the Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge or even the Seaway Bridge border crossings even if they are out of the way for you. Another alternative ezbordercrossing.com visitors have suggested is to take the Horne’s Ferry from Cape Vincent to Wolfe Island (runs during the summer months), and then take the free year-round ferry from Wolfe Island to Kingston Ontario.
- There are pedestrian walkways on both ends of the bridge which are open during daylight hours. The walkways close during the winter months.
- You can call 511 or 888-GO511NY (888-465-1169) in New York to get “almost” real time road conditions information.
- You can also get Ontario road information by phone by calling the following numbers: Provincial Call Centre: 800-268-4686, Toronto Area: 416-235-4686, Provincial TTY: 866-471-8929, Niagara Region TTY: 905-704-2426
- There is Duty Free Americas shop on Wellesley Island that is open 24 Hours / 7 Days a Week. Telephone: (315) 482 – 2730.
- Thousand Islands Tax/Duty Free Store is located 1.5 km South of the bridge across from Canada Customs. Telephone 877-676-6673
- Thousand Island Bridge GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 44.347349, -75.983328
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at the Thousand Islands Bridge
- Thousand Islands Bridge U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: 315 482-2261
- The Thousand Island Bridge Authority: 315-482-2501
- For Canadian Customs at this port call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) who can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.