This is a heavily used border crossing which ranks in the top 25% of all U.S. / Canadian ports. It is a connector to Hwy 2 which is part of the Trans-Canada Highway. The Edmundston-Madawaska Bridge is well past its prime and has significant weight limitations. A new bridge is being built that will cross the St. John River at about a 45-degree angle and be located about 1,400 feet upstream from the existing bridge. The completion date for the new bridge is estimated at June 30, 2025.
Edmundston – Madawaska Bridge Border Crossing Information
- Hours of Operation – This port is open 24 hrs per day, 7 days a week, year around.
- Canadian commercial services are available 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday (except holidays).
- This bridge is in serious need of repair so the single vehicle weight limit is only five tons. As a result, the bridge is effectively restricted to passenger cars and pickups, and most commercial vehicles, including tractor trailers, box trucks, buses and fire trucks are now prohibited. The closest border crossing for heavy vehicles is now either the Fort Kent / Clair port which is 20 miles to the west, or Van Buren / St Leonard Bridge, 25 miles to the east.
- Edmundston – Madawaska Port Location – US Highway 1, Bridge Street / New Brunswick 120, Des Veterans Promenade
Current Road Conditions in Maine and New Brunswick
We have special pages showing all current road advisories for the State of Maine and the province of New Brunswick. These pages show problems such as roadway accidents, snow or ice, lane closures or blockages, construction, road restrictions, traffic problems, and roadwork around the Edmundston-Madawaska Bridge border crossing.
Traveler Tips – Edmundston-Madawaska Bridge Customs and Border Crossing
- Here is a handy link to hotels in Madawaska, Maine and here is another link to hotels in Edmundston, Canada .
- Pedestrians are allowed to cross at this port.
- The natural beauty of this remote area also means there are much fewer travel services. Make sure you keep track of the weather, fill up your gas tank at all major towns, and carry an emergency road kit.
- You can get Maine road advisories and construction information 24 x 7 by calling 5-1-1 or 866-282-7578.
- New Brunswick is also part of the 511 system so you can obtain similar information by calling 511 from within the province or 800-561-4063 from anywhere else in North America.
- Edmundston-Madawaska Bridge Port GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude:47.360212, -68.328682
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Madawaska / Edmundston
- Madawaska U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (207) 728-4376
- To contact Canadian Customs or other border patrol services at this port call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.
Wait Times at the Madawaska and Edmundston Border Crossing
|Estimated wait time to reach the inspection booth. Updated hourly.||Entering the U.S. at Madawaska – Open |
|Entering Canada at Edmundston|
Last Update: 2022-01-18 11:50 AST
|Personal Vehicles||No delay|
|Commercial Vehicles||No delay|
Map of the Edmunston-Madawaska Bridge Border Crossing Area
To view the traffic conditions at the Edmunston Madawaska Bridge border crossing, select “View Larger Map” and turn on the traffic layer.