This is a heavily used border crossing which ranks in the top 25% of all U.S. / Canadian ports. It is a connector to Hwy 2, which is part of the Trans-Canada Highway.
Edmundston – Madawaska Bridge Border Crossing Information
- Port Location – US Highway 1, Bridge Street / New Brunswick 120, Des Veterans Promenade.
- Hours of operation: This port is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year round.
- Canadian commercial services are available 8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday to Friday (except holidays).
- This bridge is in serious need of repair, so the single vehicle weight limit is only five tons. As a result, the bridge is effectively restricted to passenger cars and pickups, and most commercial vehicles, including tractor trailers, box trucks, buses and fire trucks are now prohibited. The closest border crossing for heavy vehicles is now either the Fort Kent / Clair port, which is 20 miles to the west, or Van Buren / St Leonard Bridge, 25 miles to the east.
Current Traffic Conditions at the Edmundston / Madawaska Border Crossing
Always check our page with real-time road conditions, traffic, and border wait times to see current conditions for the Ambassador Bridge border crossing.
Traveler Tips – Edmundston-Madawaska Bridge Customs and Border Crossing
- Here is a handy link to hotels in Madawaska, Maine, and another to hotels in Edmundston, Canada.
- Pedestrians are allowed to cross at this port.
- The natural beauty of this remote area also means there are much fewer travel services. Make sure you keep track of the weather, fill up your gas tank at all major towns, and carry an emergency road kit.
- You can get Maine road advisories and construction information 24/7 by calling 5-1-1 or 866-282-7578.
- New Brunswick is also part of the 511 system, so you can obtain similar information by calling 511 from within the province or 800-561-4063 from anywhere else in North America.
- Edmundston-Madawaska Bridge Port GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude:47.360212, -68.328682
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Madawaska / Edmundston
- Madawaska U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (207) 728-4376
- To contact Canadian Customs or other border patrol services at this port, call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS), which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.