Thousand Islands Bridge – Alexandria Bay / Lansdowne – US Interstate 81 / ON 137
The Thousand Islands “Bridge” is actually a series of bridges that cross the St. Lawrence River. In Canada, it connects with Highway 401, which runs northeast to Montreal and southwest to Toronto, and 416, which heads north to Ottawa.
Whichever bridge you take, you still need to go through customs as usual. This is one of the 10 most used border crossings between the US and Canada, and is the 4th busiest in New York. It therefore experiences significant backups during peak periods, and 2 hour delays are not uncommon during the summer. This is a heavy truck corridor, and I-81 is used by many carriers as an inland alternative to the more crowded I-95. In the past, delays have resulted in diversion of trucks to the Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge.
Thousand Islands Bridge Port Information
- Hours of Operation: This border crossing is open 24 hours per day, 7 days a week for auto and commercial traffic.
- The US Customs port of entry has 15 inspection lanes for passenger and commercial vehicles, including buses and RVs. Commercial traffic has its own dedicated lanes, separate from the passenger side, and a separate commercial inspection facility.
- There is a large lobby to the side of the vehicle inspection bays for travelers who need visas, residency or other types of paperwork.
- This port has NEXUS lanes for entering the U.S. or Canada. Nexus lanes are not typically open 24/7, so we have a separate page showing their hours of operation.
- There are special rules governing Vehicle Exports. Original documents are required at the port a minimum of 72 hours prior to export.
- See our page Tolls on Bridges Along the U.S. Canada Border for toll rates for this bridge.
Current Traffic and Road Conditions for the Thousand Islands Bridge Border Crossing
Always check our page with current traffic, road conditions, and border wait times to see what’s happening right now at the Thousand Islands Bridge border crossing.
Travel Tips for the Thousand Islands Bridge Border Crossing
- Here is a handy link to hotels in New York state and here is another link to hotels in Ontario Province on the Canadian side of the border.
- At peak periods this port can be very slow, so many people recommend taking either the Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge or even the Seaway Bridge border crossings, even if they are out of the way for you. Another alternative ezbordercrossing.com visitors have suggested is to take the Horne’s Ferry from Cape Vincent to Wolfe Island (runs during the summer months), and then take the free year-round ferry from Wolfe Island to Kingston, Ontario.
- There are pedestrian walkways on both ends of the bridge that are open during daylight hours. The walkways close during the winter months.
- Road / traffic updates
- You can call 511 or 888-GO511NY (888-465-1169) in New York to get “almost” real time road conditions information.
- You can also get Ontario road information by phone by calling the following numbers:
- Provincial Call Centre: 800-268-4686
- Toronto Area: 416-235-4686
- Provincial TTY: 866-471-8929
- Niagara Region TTY: 905-704-2426
- Remember to also check this page for a collection of real-time traffic information.
- Duty free shops
- There is Duty Free Americas shop on Wellesley Island that is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Telephone: (315) 482 – 2730.
- Thousand Islands Tax/Duty Free Store is located 1.5 km South of the bridge across from Canada Customs. Telephone 877-676-6673
- Thousand Island Bridge GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: 44.347349, -75.983328
Thousand Islands Bridge Port of Entry Location Map
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at the Thousand Islands Bridge
- Thousand Islands Bridge U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: 315 482-2261
- The Thousand Island Bridge Authority: 315-482-2501
- For Canadian Customs at this port, call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS) who can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.