Peace Arch – U.S. Hwy I-5, BC Hwy 99
Peace Arch is the third busiest United States / Canadian border crossing for passenger auto traffic. About 3,500 cars pass through it on a slow day, and as many as 4,800 cars on a busy day. As a consequence, the wait time entering either the United States or Canada can reach 4 hours at various times of the day. The Blaine / Douglas or Lynden / Aldergrove crossings may be faster, even if they are more out of your way. Commercial vehicles are not allowed to use this port.
Current Traffic and Road Conditions at Peace Arch
Always check our page with real time weather, traffic, and border wait times to see current conditions for the Peace Arch border crossing.
Peace Arch Port Information
- Hours of Operation – 24 Hrs a day, 7 days a week, year around.
- Entering Canada – 10 Inspection lanes
- Entering the U.S. – 10 Primary inspection lanes, 8 secondary inspection lanes
- No truck lanes in either direction. No commercial service.
- NEXUS lanes – entering Canada – open daily 7 a.m. to midnight.
- NEXUS lanes – entering the U.S. – open daily 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- There is a Ready Lane at this port that is typically open from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Peace Arch Travel Tips
- Here is a handy link to hotels in Washington state, and here is another link to hotels in British Columbia, Canada.
- Avoid weekends – wait times are significantly higher on these days.
- The heaviest traffic flow on I-5 is between noon and 7 PM, with the volume peaking at 3 to 4 PM.
- The Province of British Columbia installed a traffic light 63 meters ahead of the Southbound Peace Arch border. Cars stop at the red light and are allowed to advance in groups. Drivers are encouraged to turn off their engines while they wait for the green light to reduce idling.
- You can get customized traffic information for Washington over the phone using the 511 system. Simply dial 5-1-1 and say “traffic.” Next say the road number, such as “5,” and receive up-to-the-minute updates on the road segment you plan to use. If you cannot dial 511 on your phone, you can also use the toll-free number: 1-800-695-7623.
- To hear current road conditions in British Columbia, you can call (800)-550-4997.
- The Peace Arch border crossing in Blaine is closed annually on about the second Sunday in June for the annual Hands Across the Border celebration. The border crossing typically closes at 11 am and re-opens at 4pm. Both the northbound (I-5) and southbound (Highway 99) directions are closed during the event. Drivers are detoured to the SR 543/Highway 15 crossing that’s a mile away. If you must cross the border during this event, consider going early or late and using one of the other border crossings – like the Lynden/Aldergrove or Sumas/Huntingdon crossings.
- Average Wait Times: January: 15 minutes, February – June: 20 – 26 minutes, July: 33 minutes
Telephone Numbers for the Border Customs Offices at Peace Arch Border
- Peace Arch U.S. Customs Office Telephone Number: (360) 332-8511
- To contact Canadian Customs or other border patrol services at this port, call the Canadian Border Information Service (BIS), which can answer your questions or transfer you directly to the Canadian port.
Peace Arch GPS coordinates – Latitude & Longitude: